It took about 2 and a half weeks for our seedling to grow big enough to be transplanted into the garden beds. The garden beds have been built and filled. The bottom 2 inches was filled with top soil, and the rest was filled with our own compost made from yard and garden waste. We usally try to follow the plant spacing recommended on the seed packet, but this time we don't have the space. As you can see in the pciture above, these squash are only about 2 feet apart. I'l let you know if we have any problems with crowding.
I had some left over pine 1x8 8ft long boards, so I decided to use them for our garden beds. The wood isn't pressure treated, and the boards aren't really very sturdy, so I don't really expect them to last more than a couple of seasons. As you can see in the above picture, I used 3 boards to make each bed. One 1x8 was cut in half to make the ends, and the other 8ft boards comprise the sides. I cut some 6 inch long pieces of 2x4 for backing in the corners where the boards are screwed together. I did'nt want to use pressure treated lumber, because I'm afraid the chemical treatment of the boards, could leach into the soil and eventully contaminate our plants. This may not be a real danger, but I'd rather be safe than poisoned. I had recently brought in a load of top soil to fill some holes in the yard, so I used a bit to fill the bottom 2 inches of the beds. The quality of the top soils was pretty bad (mostly sand and small mulch shavings) so I filled the beds the rest of the way with some good compost from the pile in the background of the picture above.